Saturday, March 7, 2009

Green Clean

A lot of the comments I got about why people don't use more "green" stuff is the price of things. I wanted to put together a few post of ways you can go green without breaking the bank.
See, to me part of going green is also saving money. There's no way I can afford all the "green" things the stores have to offer. Plus, if you're having to go out and buy new stuff to go green, is that really going green? You're just buying new stuff. Also, a lot of the "green" stuff out there isn't really green. (Example: Clorox green. Yes, it's great that they're making an effort and if that's what you're wanting to use, I guess it's better than nothing.. but still.)

So my first set of posts are on cleaners and what you can use to have the advantage of not having the chemicals but also not breaking the bank.

First, if you want some links on why cleaners are bad, here you go. But you can also look it up yourselves. Or trust me that I've done my research ;) Besides the chemicals that no, don't wash all the way out of your clothes, (You can always smell the "sent" after it's washed..) You're also putting those chemicals into the water, which does go to a treatment plant, but some of it does leak into the earth. Would you want to water your plants with that stuff?
http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2008/07/25/health-hazards-in-household-cleaners-exposed.html

http://life.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/Whats-So-Bad-About-Chemical-Cleaning-Products.html

So, first up... Laundry detergent! Honestly, one of my greatest finds is my laundry detergent.
You can make your own! It's very easy and I have done it.
Here's 2 recipes, one liquid and one dry:
Liquid:
3 Pints Water
1/3 Soap,* Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
1 Quart Hot Water
Mix soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Dry:
1 Cup Grated Soap*
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
For light load, use 1 tablespoon.For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons.

* Good soaps to use are Fels Naptha, Ivory or a castile soap.

TIPS• Liquid detergent can also be used as a pre-treater for stains. • Essential Oils can be added to soap for fragrance.

If you're not feeling up to making your own, there's some other options.
First up, my favorite.. Crunchy clean. I'll admit, this is the only homemade stuff I've bought, so maybe there's a reason it's my favorite. ;) http://www.crunchyclean.com/ I am not kidding you, this stuff smells Soooooo good!! When your mailman is asking you what's in the package because everybody at the post office was trying to guess... You know. The nice thing is though, you don't smell it after you wash your clothes. Monkey farts is the only sent I've tried, but I love it. I have the diaper wash and the regular wash.
It's really not that expensive either. It really lasts you a long time. I've had my diaper detergent since November and I'm nowhere near even half way through it. I've just got the regular detergent, so I can't tell you how long that lasts.

The others that I know of are:
http://www.jennyssimplyclean.com/
http://www.cleangreenmonkey.com/

Now that the cleaners are covered (Somewhat.... There is a lot more out there!) Lets talk fabric softener. I never ever bought fabric softener. I guess I considered it a luxury. Then I found out that you can use vinegar as fabric softener! I was a bit hesitant to try it because who wants your clothes to smell like vinegar?? But it really doesn't. You just put a little bit in your rinse cycle and it really does work great!
Check this out, 1001 ways to use vinegar: http://www.vinegartips.com/

Oh, and that washing soda and borax that are ingredients for the laundry detergent? They're also great laundry boosters for regular laundry detergents, for stains and also for household cleaning. Washing soda & Borax can be found at most grocery stores or Walmart.

Another great way to go green with laundry that will save you money is to get a clothes line and use it instead of your dryer ;)

That's all for this post. If you'd like to share your green ways with laundry, feel free! I know I still don't know very much about this stuff and am always looking for more!

14 comments:

The J's said...

O.K. So count me weird, but I've never like scented laundry soap. It's nearly impossible however to find it without. That is also the biggest reason I've always hated dryer clothes softener sheets, but then I don't like fabric softeners of any kind anyway. (now mind you I've never tried the vinegar, so that doesn't count.) I've had skin reactions to laundry soap a few times, which I find interesting since you rinse your clothes. Right...what does that tell you?
I've bought the borax so far... but haven't found the washing soda yet. I hate ordering things. ugg.
I've been trying to drape/hang jeans to dry as they take so long in the dryer. I always hang all dresses, shirts, skirts up right out of the washer anyway, saves ironing or forgetting them in the dryer & getting all wrinkled. I've never dried jean skirts in the dryer because of wrinkled hems, but saves energy too.
Another huge bonus about not drying in the dryer (especially with kids clothes) is that if they have stains that you missed seeing, or didn't come out, then they don't get set from the heat & impossible to get out.

The J's said...

Oh, but let me clarify the scented laundry soap thing... I LOVE the scent of the "monkey farts" stuff Dalayna is talking about! and it doesn't leave a residue smell on clean laundry either.

Dalayna said...

Mom~ Look at the grocery stores for washing soday instead of walmart... That's where I found ours. It should be in the laundry isle and looks like a big box of baking soda.

Lynisha Weeda said...

I LOVE the crunchy clean - I have Monkey Farts & Sweet Sugar (or something like that). I am SO impressed at how long it is lasting! I figured it would cost a bit more than what I was buying (ALL free & clear), based on the number of loads it said, but I'm using MORE per load, and it's lasting WAY longer than I figured! I love the scented stuff because of the way it smells when the laundry is washing! You can't smell it when the clothes are dry though.
I am a bit partial to liquid laundry detergent though, so I'm going to try to make my own, and of course add some essential oils! =D

theo and sarah said...

Can you use the dry homemade detergent on cloth diapers? Once my current detergent runs out I think I'm going to make a batch of the dry stuff, but would like to be able to use the same detergent for everything. Thanks again for all your advice!

Dalayna said...

I don't think you should... Grated bar soap is true soap and will cause build up in the diapers.

A homemade recipe for CD's that I've seen is:
1 cup Washing soda
1 cup borax
1 cup oxyclean free (Or Oxy sun- it's really cheap)
2 Tbsp. for a small load, 1/4 cup for large load.

I know with the crunchy clean diaper detergent, alot of people use it for regular detergent too.

The J's said...

So if we're talking "green"--"healthy"--"whatever" here, how does the borax, oxy-sun & washing soda fit in to all this? and what is the difference between oxy=clean & oxy-sun. I use that stuff all the time. What actually IS washing soda & borax?
Sure glad I have someone to educate me! hehe!

Heather said...

Maxine...I was also curious and did a search on washing soda and borax. Here are a couple websites I looked at:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-washing-soda.htm

http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/a/howboraxworks.htm

Dalayna said...

Thanks Heather!

Mom, washing soda is a natural occuring thing and it's non-toxic. Also read this: http://www.greenfootsteps.com/washing-soda.html

As far as Borax goes, It's a natural mineral compound.
http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/115/1/Handy-borax-tips.html

http://www.greenfootsteps.com/borax-information.html

Dalayna said...

Oh, and I'm not positive about the difference between Oxy clean & Oxy sun or Oxy free... I just know that you should use the oxy sun or free on Cloth diapers because it's easier on them than Oxy clean.

Heather said...

Mom has apparently been using Borax as a laundry detergent booster since I noticed a box of it in the laundry room...I'm doing laundry right now, so I added some. I also decided to try putting white distilled vinegar in instead of fabric softener...I'll see how I like it!

shaunandhelen said...

Great post! I hate to say this but I bought the crunchy clean laundry detergent for diapers and I hate it--my diapers still smell like poo afterward. So I'm back to using regular dawn for them. I loved the smell of the detergent- but not the smell of my diapers after they were washed. I was bummed-- maybe it doesn't work well in our water. But I'm excited to try some of these other tips.
I really like using Method brand cleaners--they are green and available at target and smell really yummy! Pink grapefruit is a favorite as is the almond scented wood floor cleaner.

Heather said...

I just ordered some Crunchy Clean detergent samples :) Vanilla/Lavender and Sweet Pea--the Vanilla/Lavender for me and the Sweet Pea for my roommate

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Laundry Soap is a small step in the green revolution and we all need to take those steps. Yet if we want to make a big impact AND save money then it is time to invest in laundry racks or a clothesline.

In the US 6-10% of our household energy is used to dry clothes. That is huge!