Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm a nut...

For Eco Nuts :)
Laurel said something on facebook about using soap nuts that reminded me I was going to post about these a long time ago!

I heard about soap nuts quite a while ago, but never looked into them. Then, our local baby store started selling them and I found out I could use them not only on my clothes, but on the cloth diapers too! (You CAN'T use regular soap on cloth diapers! You may be able to for a while, but more than likely, at some point, there will be problems. But that's for another day.)
So what are soap nuts? Well, first of all, the ones I have come from this company: http://www.econutssoap.com/


I've found they work very well! If I have a bad stain, I do have to use something for a stain remover but I'm ok with the extra step. Only recently have I started using them for Wade's work clothes and I do throw in a scoop of my mix of washing soda & borax for my own peace of mind. We wash everything in cold water except the diapers and very dirty towels, etc. so these last us a very long time!
In the box is a little pouch that you stick your soap nuts in and then you just throw it in the washer with your clothes.
I am still washing my diapers in Crunchy clean, just because I like it so much. I did try the soap nuts on them though, and they came out looking/feeling great.
Anyways, I love them because they work and you can't get much more natural than nuts! (Wade says they're perfect for me... lol. He calls me a hippie.)

6 comments:

Lynisha Weeda said...

LOL! Nuts for the crunchy hippy! What a cute box they come in too!
I'll have to see if our health food store carries them!

Janelle said...

This is super cool! I've been called a hippie a time or 2 before as well. ;) I'm definitely going to give these a try.

Anonymous said...

Dalayna,
If you would like to try a soapnut liquid and host a giveaway for your readers, check out Maggie's. They use sustainable harvest practices and use absolutely no synthetic chemical preservatives. Also has really nice Organic Essential Oils: http://www.maggiespureland.com/sustainable.html

~ Peace ~

gkey said...

dear "Hippie~Honey"

I have never heard of this. Wow. what a concept.

love,
Nuts aren't just for squirels
in
NE
P.S,
the Soapnut liquid sounds interesting, but hardly able to reuse it, eh?

Dalayna said...

Can't re-use it and then you also have the big plastic bottle it came in. (Which you could recycle, but still.)

Jon Myers said...

The 60s called and they want their soap nuts back. :-D

Jon