Thursday, February 19, 2009

Very Annoyed... breastfeeding bill

I was really excited about this, it didn't have an enforcement provision, but it was pretty good. It got passed yesterday, and I am so ticked. I don't know when it will be up in the House.

They changed it from:

Right to breastfeed - Discriminatory practices.
1. Except for the private home or residence of another, a woman may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the woman and child are otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the woman's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breastfeeding.
2. It is a discriminatory practice to deny or attempt to deny the full and equalenjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, andaccommodations of a place of public accommodation to a woman because thewoman is breastfeeding her child.
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...t/JAGK0100.pdf

to this:

Right to breastfeed. If the woman acts in a discreet and modest Manner, a woman may breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, where the woman and child are otherwise authorized to be.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-...s/JAGK0200.pdf

I'm sorry, but we're better off without a bill at all if they're going to do it that way!!
I know I'm not BFing anymore, but I might be again someday, and this just pushes the wrong buttons.
I even contacted all my people to ask them to pass this bill. (Before it was changed.)
Now I'm going to contact them again to let them know what I think ;)

9 comments:

Heather said...

I'm wondering why they thought the change was necessary?

Cute layout, by the way

Anonymous said...

Ok-I've never seen any woman breastfeed in a "non-discreet" manner-- who will be policing this by the way? I do think it is great that so many malls now have a nursing room-especially when you need to nurse the baby and have a toddler who needs to be confined!!

Dalayna said...

See that's the problem... The people policing could be who ever manages the place you're at.
Say I'm at a resturant and I'm nursing.. Somebody there doesn't like it and says something. Well, they could "decide" that I wasn't being discreet enough, so I needed to leave or go to the bathroom to nurse. They would have the right to do that.

I'm just tired of people acting like BFing is so shocking and obseen, but there's all those people running around with hardley any clothes on and stuff. A girl would never get kicked out of a place for showing too much stomach or clevage.

The J's said...

Well, it looks like a huge waste of time and effort to me! (the change!) I can't imagine why they thought it was necessary either!

Unknown said...

don't see the reason for the change, either, except making it more vague, and yes, interpreted differently at 'discretion' of different people/places

Lynisha Weeda said...

Just another waste of our $$$ Go re-write a law that REALLY needs changed!

Jeanette said...

I have lots to add to Dalayna's comment but I will just say: They don't expect everyone else to eat their meal in the filthy bathroom....so why should my child who is getting their meal the way God designed it?

The day I am told to BF in the bathroom I will walk out of that establishment and never go back!

The J's said...

Obviously someone was freaked out about the wording: "irrespective of whether the nipple of the woman's breast....."
Too bad they don't have enough common sense to focus on some of the important stuff instead of wasting time & money on things like this!!

Dalayna said...

Mom, I think you're right. But if they had any clue, they'd know that you hardly see anything when a woman is BFing anyways... I mean, honestly, there's really not that many women that actually "let it all hang out" when BFing in public.

While I am as discreet as possible while in public, I don't want anybody to be able to tell me that they don't think I'm being enough so I have to leave. With as many stories there are recently about women being asked to leave or go to the bathroom, I just don't like it.